There was a time when I had to come up with a daily trivia question for a broadcast that I hosted out of Woodbine or Mohawk Racetracks in Ontario. These days the only trivia I come up with is in my own mind and I often have trouble with the answers. Over lunch today I put together the rather convoluted question posed below. Do you know the answer to the broader question or the names of the specific people and communities?
What do the following have in common?
1) The model / actress most frequently featured on the cover of Playboy magazine
2) The city dubbed ‘The Bathtub Racing Capital of the World’
3) The only artist to have eight albums debut at the top of the Billboard Jazz Albums
4) The singer who married Elvis Costello at Elton John’s UK estate in 2003
5) The performer who sang ‘Fly Me To the Moon’ at astronaut Neil Armstrong’s memorial service in Washington, D.C.
6) The performer who sang ‘Ring of Fire’ in the 2013 Superman movie ‘Man of Steel’
7) The world’s largest hockey stick
8) Canada’s Centennial Baby (first baby born in Canada on July 1, 1967)
9) The ex-wife of Mötley Crüe drummer Tommy Lee
10) The city that Time Magazine dubbed ‘The Capital of Google Earth’
11) The second oldest lawn tennis court in the world (second only to Wimbledon)
12) Canada’s smallest city by square miles
13) A dessert sold at Starbucks locations in New York City, Los Angeles, Sydney, Tokyo, Beijing, etc.
14) The actor who played Tom Cruise’s son in ‘War of the Worlds’
The answer is a connection to BC’s Cowichan Valley, or more specifically the communities of Ladysmith, Duncan and Nanaimo.
1) Pamela Anderson
2) Nanaimo, BC
3) Diana Krall
4) Diana Krall
5) Dian Krall
6) Allison Crowe
7) Duncan, BC
8) Pamela Anderson
9) Pamela Anderson
10) Nanaimo, BC
11) The South Cowichan Lawn Tennis Club
12) Duncan, BC
13) The Nanaimo Bar
14) Justin Chatwin